Dry brushing has been around for decades but has come back in full swing as a health trend. It’s super simple to do and comes with so many benefits!
Though I don’t believe all the speculations saying that dry brushing ‘detox’s your body’ and such, It does still provides your skin with much goodness.
First off, you need to buy a brush with natural bristles. Plastics or fake bristles just won’t do the job.
So here’s the deal
- Stimulates Your Lymphatic System – The Lymphatic System has many functions such as absorbing and transporting fatty acids from the digestive system, and transporting white blood cells into our bones. When your lymphatic system does not work properly, you can stimulate it by massage or dry brushing to help your body release waste and toxin build up.
- Exfoliation – As any other scrub, by dry brushing you remove dead skin, leaving you as smooth as a baby.
- Blood Circulation – Increasing your blood circulation promotes cell growth and organ function. Your skin has a higher chance of fighting off bacteria and infection.
- Stress Relief – Just like having a massage, dry brushing can be just as relaxing!
- It’s just plain amazing – It feels so so good before a nice shower and beware – you may get hooked. It’s fast, easy, and inexpensive.
Want to start? Here’s how:
- If you are just starting off, buy a soft natural bristle brush (you can buy a harder one once your body is use to the brushing).
- Wash the brush with a natural soap and try not to get the wooden handle wet. Pat the bristles onto a towel and leave to air dry.
- Once your ready to start, make sure you don’t wet your brush or your body – hence the name dry brushing.
- There are many techniques for dry brushing:
- Brushing towards your heart helps body fluid move in the right direction.
- Stokes specifically for your lymphatic system.
Diagram taken from here.
- I usually start from my feet and work my way up with long strokes. Avoid brushing your face and be sure to go softer on more sensitive areas.
- Once you have these techniques down, you can dry brush in just 5 minutes.
- Shower right after you are done so you can wash off any dead and loose flaky skin.
- Repeat daily or up to two times a day.
+Bonus: After my shower I lather myself in organic coconut oil !
I hope you guys give this a try, let me know your views in the comment section below!
Photos by Orestis Katsilis